Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued.
Maynooth University Crèche is now seeking an Early Years Educator. Reporting to the Crèche Manager, who in turn reports to the Director of Student Services, the successful candidate will join a team of staff providing childcare and pre-school services to the children of both staff and students of Maynooth University. Maynooth University Crèche is one of the departments within Student Services.
The Successful candidate will be required to carry out a range of duties, including but not limited to the following:
- To work in close co-operation with the Manager and other team members;
- To act, if required, as a key worker to specified children,
- To ensure the safety, security, and wellbeing of all children in your care;
- To assist in the planning and implementation of an age-appropriate stimulating programme of activities which will enhance the child’s natural growth and development;
- To ensure all quality and safety standards are always maintained in the Crèche.
- To, guide, observe, stimulate, and supervise children in a safe and caring environment as part of the childcare team;
Care of Children
- To be attentive to the children in your care;
- To deal with issues as they arise in relation to the wellbeing of children;
- To communicate to children at their level;
- To provide personal care if necessary (nappy changing, nose cleaning, toileting, washing);
- To carry out planned and unplanned observations using the observation system and materials.
Training and Meetings
- To undertake first aid training, fire safety and manual handling, food handling courses as required;
- To undertake appropriate training if requested by the Manager;
- To attend and participate at staff meetings as required.
- To prepare and serve food to children;
- To encourage good eating habits.
- To be flexible regarding working in any of the different rooms or roles in the Crèche.
- To participate and assist in the planning and implementation of daily instructional and developmental activities for children;
- To provide opportunities for children to learn in a holistic way;
- To introduce children to the play equipment based on their individual needs.
Health and Safety
- To report any safety hazards/risks to the Manager immediately;
- To refrain from engaging in any activity that poses a risk to you, other members of staff or any child;
- To maintain a safe, clean, and healthy environment;
- To participate in cleaning duties as required;
- To maintain appropriate records and documents in compliance with the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016. Records may include the child’s progress, recording observations, accident records, etc.
Member of Staff Responsibilities
- To be a member of the childcare team engaging with the other members of staff working in Maynooth University Crèche;
- To ensure that the rights of the children in the care of the Crèche and their parents/guardians are respected;
- To communicate frequently with the team members, Manager, and parents as appropriate;
- To communicate in a straightforward, accurate and professional manner and not engage in unnecessary social conversations when working and supervising children.
- To be familiar with all policies and procedures of Maynooth University Crèche, and to always adhere to them;
- To adhere to the Child Care Act 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016, and all other relevant legislation and regulations.