Main Job Purpose
- To provide quality early childhood care and education to children
- To, guide, observe, stimulate and supervise children in a safe and caring environment.
- To work in close co-operation with the Manager and the other team members
- To act as a key worker to specified children
- Ensure the safety, security and wellbeing of all children in your care
- To assist in the planning and implementation of an age-appropriate stimulating programme of activities which will enhance the child’s natural growth and development.
- To ensure all quality and safety standards are maintained in the service always.
Care and Well-Being
- To be attentive to the children in your care
- To deal with issues as they arise in relation to the well-being of children
- To communicate to children at their level
- To use positive strategies in supporting children through challenging behaviour
- To provide personal care if necessary (nappy changing, nose cleaning, toileting, washing)
- To carry out planned and unplanned observations using the observation system and materials
- To report any concern, you might have about the welfare of a child to the Designated Liaison Person for Child Protection
- To greet parent and child in a friendly positive and courteous manner
- To liaise with parents who are the prime carers of the children to keep them informed of the children’s progress and well-being
- To record information/messages from parents, as appropriate
- To prepare for and attend parent/teacher meetings
- To refer any complaints from parents to the manager
Roles and Responsibilities
- To be a member of the team engaging with the other members of staff working in the in the service
- To work in close co-operation with the Manager and other staff members
- To ensure that you respect the rights of children in your care
- To work as part of a team, fostering good working relationships within the team
- To have a neat and tidy appearance, wearing the uniform provided and adhering to the dress code
- To communicate frequently with the team members/ manager/ and parents as appropriate
- To communicate in a straightforward, accurate, and professional manner and not to engage in unnecessary social conversations when working and supervising children
- To be flexible in regarding working in the different services when needed
- The person appointed to this job shall not during the period of employment or at any time after the termination of employment disclose any confidential information in respect of the employer or information relating to the work, children, parents or staff participating or working in the service.
Training and Meetings
- To undertake first aid training, fire safety and manual handling, food handling courses, as required
- Undertake training if requested by your Manager
- To attend and participate at meetings as required.
- To be familiar with all policies and procedures of the service and implement them
- To train student workers and to assist new staff with induction
- To adhere to the Child Care 1991 (Early Years Services) Regulations 2016, and all other relevant legislation and Regulations.
- To ensure all quality and safety standards are maintained in the Service always in accordance with Síolta, the National Quality Framework for early Childhood Education
The successful candidate must have
- Applicants must hold a minimum QQI Level 5 or above qualification in childcare.
- Have an in-depth Knowledge of Siolta and Aistear, Child Protection guidelines and the Childcare Act.
- All applicants should be able to demonstrate dedication, flexibility, initiative and an ability to develop a strong, non-judgmental and supportive rapport with children, parents and colleagues.
- Have a strong ability to work as part of a team.
The successful candidate will have:
- 24 Annual leave days
- 13 paid sick leave days
- Financial support for professional up-skilling and development
- Further development and training opportunities within our services
- Employee Assistant Progam, to ensure you well being is cared for
9.00 - 4.30
7 point Salary Scale
Greenpark Rd, Bray, Co.Wicklow
Minimum QQI/Fetac Level 5